Modeled after a the Singapore Night Safari, the Chiang Mai Night Safari park is part of the Thai government’s huge multi-million baht plan to increase Chiang Mai’s attraction to tourists. The concept of the park is to provide visitors with a thrilling experience similar to being out in the wilderness at night.
Apart from touring the three animal zones – Savanna Safari, Predator Prowl, Jaguar Trail – via an open-sided tram or on foot, enjoy a range of activities designed to keep you entertained throughout your visit, from hand-feeding wild animals and petting tiger cubs to a laser light show and ‘dancing’ fountain.
Chiang Mai Night Safari’s three animal zones are set around the lake; two (Savanna Safari and Predator Prowl) are accessible via open-sided safari trams and one (Jaguar Trail) is a walking trail that you can wander along at your own pace.
- Savanna Safari (open 18:00-23:00): A journey through the wild African savannas. This 2.4-km trail south of the lake is inhabited mostly by herbivores and prey animals, such as giraffes, zebras, antelopes, lamas, rhinoceros, elephants and various species of Asian and African wild deer. The tour of the Savanna Safari lasts 30 minutes, in an open-sided tram.
- Predator Prowl (open 18:00-23:00): Encounter the kings and queens of the jungle. East of the lake, the 2.4-km tram route cuts into the heart of the wilderness inhabited by some of the world’s fiercest predators, whether Bengal tigers, pumas, lions, hyenas, vultures, bears, as well as rare prey animals, such as goats, wild boars, wallabies and deer. The tram ride takes 30 minutes.
- Jaguar Trail (open 11:00-23:00): A nice stroll around the lake. This landscaped jungle trail takes you through a range of the wild habitats of flamingos, tortoises and ducks, emus, white-striped tigers and jaguars.
There’s more to the night safari than exploring the three animal zones. You can hand-feed the animals, take photographs with the tiger cubs, shop for cute souvenirs, test your physical coordination at the dancing fountain (Fun Plaza), or enjoy the laser light show (highly recommended) after dark.
- Fun Plaza: Have a splashing good time. This 13.5-metre wide circular fountain shoots up water at an erratic rhythm. You can jump, hop or dance, but the key is timing your move right and you won’t end up getting soaking wet. The Fun Plaza is ideal for cooling off on a scorching hot day.
- Laser light show: This is no crowd-pleasing gimmick but rather one of the most memorable shows you will see at the night safari. It comprises the musical fountain and the water screen along with stunning light and sound effects, timed perfectly to the rhythm of the soundtrack. Many visitors confirm that the laser light show is the best part of their experience here.